In this episode, Jacob, Shaun & Chris jump right into the deep end of the pool and start discussing messages models and how they differ from data models. As software developers, we have spent years building messages to send between our systems. We high five each other for clever byte-packing schemes that save 10% network traffic. We celebrate efficient code that marshals and de-marshals our data in less than 6 operations. But how does all of this relate to data models? Do message models have a place in the data modeling universe? Are they the same thing? If not, how are they different?
- A Data Model is not a Message Model
- Data Models capture the information about the things messages talk about
- Message Model capture the information about the messages
- Data Modeling is Hard – Whitepaper by Skayl
- Modeling Wizard – Quickly and easily document your interfaces with the Modeling Wizard
- Sample Data Model – Request a sample data model to get started